Founded in 1895, The Pingry Record has the distinction of being the oldest continuously published country day school newspaper in the United States. The paper began as a “lark” by a group of boys who thought it might be fun to edit a newspaper containing school news. The first paper, handed from student to student, was largely regarded as a joke by the student body and became known as “The Bughouse Tribune.”
However, its successful circulation around the school presented the opportunity for a real school paper in printed form. The idea pleased everyone, and Headmaster W.H. Corbin was asked to appoint a board of editors to start an official school publication. The first editor in chief was Barton W. Currie (class of 1895), who took his work very seriously. Currie later went on to become editor in chief of the Ladies’ Home Journal in 1925.
Today, The Record is staffed by Upper School students who write, edit, and provide the artwork as well as the layout in Adobe InDesign. History Department Chair Dr. Megan Jones and Associate Director of College Counseling Meghan Finnegan serve as the group’s advisors.